February 15, 2014

Mechanics, cont

So, I wanted to talk about how the real world informs the dice mechanic. Specifically, rolling dice on a table to generate a scripted series of events.

For this example, I'll use an amateur blogger.

Roll 1D8
1-3: Blogger does not make a weekly update. Forgets, procrastinates, etc.
4-7: Blogger updates late, with mediocre content
8: Blogger updates on time, with good content

As we can see, the tendency is for the blogger to fail at his blogging. With a few modifiers he could at least get out of the 1-3 zone, leveling him out between the middle and upper echelon of results. But this leaves him with too much success. Let's try something a bit more devious.

Action- RPG Test
Once per month, the player can attempt to make a basic mechanical structure, meant to grow into a fully working RPG system. Roll 1D1. On a 1, the system fails, and the player is back where they began.

~

Persistence is a virtue. I feel I've gotten to know it more familiarly over the course of this escapade, though there's still so much more to accomplish.

Accomplishment feels mostly unfamiliar at this point. Now that I've proposed... five tests? Six? And all of them have fallen to ground before takeoff. At least now I can try to focus on something else, ha ha.

At least I have a good reason for it this time, instead of just "I don't feel like doing it." Hack test was a very, very far-flung foray into electronic mischief, a field which I barely understand. Add to this a dubious set of mechanics, and a mostly impractical toolset, and I'm in the middle of scotch nowhere. Fabulous.

I don't feel like doing it.

~

On a positive note, karate test looks much more appealing now. Out of the fire, into the frying pan.

C'mon, natural crits. Don't fail me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment