March 22, 2013

Germ Warfare

In one of the Bite-Sized Thoughts segments, I posited the idea of gamifying speech. Today, I had an epic-level nosebleed. I started to put two and two together. Just having a roll a day for diseases is kind of boring. So, I said to myself, how could it be made more visceral?

The battleground would be shaped like the player's body, and play like a turn-based strategy game. The player would control their antibodies, white blood cells, antivirus, or whatever it is they defend their body with. The enemies are just foreign bodies, like bacteria, spyware nanobots, and broken limbs.

Once a day, the player gets to move his organisms, then the opposition responds in a very programmed way. I want the GM to be involved as little as possible because, well, then it would literally be player vs GM. No fun.

The "Once a day" part is for realism. No super-virus takes over half the body, then mysteriously disappears in the same day. I also believe it would be much easier to have tension over it that way. I'm imagining a trek through mountains, while contaminated with an experimental bio-weapon.

It'll be a while before this is introduced. Sunburn needs to launch first, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment