April 23, 2013

How I'd fix Metro 2033

I got Metro 2033, in book form. I liked the game, and it was done by the same guy.

What a mistake.

I tried to read all the way through it, but I couldn't. The main character (Artyom) is nothing like he was in the game.
  • He's almost always acted upon, instead of performing his own actions
  • His life gets progressively worse, then a sudden (and expected) event gives him a little more time. Then it happens again. And again.
  • Virtually no personality to speak of, except for "gifted loner."
The world Dmitry Glukhovsky creates is exquisite. The first two chapters, describing the everyday life of the Metro and a rat attack, are some of the most gripping I've read in a while. After that, it mainly turns into him describing the degradation of the familiar subway stations. While I can't sympathize very much, it's still interesting to look at his technique.

One thing he does masterfully is simulate the politics and conflicts. There's innumerable factions inside the tunnels, and each one has their own history. The station he's in affects Artyom a considerable amount, as well as which tunnels he's in. The problem, I believe, is with the main character.

So, as a GM, how would I fix this and make a nice RPG out of it?

Step one- keep the environments, the tone, and the themes. Expand on the theme of human extinction. Re-use most of the characters.

Artyom gets to figure his own shit out. Random people won't just become his best buddy because they're bored, and if he wants to get the hell out of somewhere, it's up to him to engineer a solution.

More mutants! Trying to reinforce the theme that humans may be replaced as the dominant species. For a little while, I'd try to make the players think the ever-enigmatic Dark Ones can grow from a plant found commonly in the metro.

Let the player(s) pick their political stance. Reds, Hansa, Fringers, etc. Every side comes with its own benefits.

More physical problems. Chasms in the tunnels, collapses, gas leaks, underground bodies of water, etc. Let the player(s) use their creativity and problem-solving skills.

Some day, I'm going to read the book all the way through. Until then, though, I'll probably choose to imagine it however I please.

No comments:

Post a Comment