April 19, 2013

Powerful Imagery Redux

I think I've finally figured out what I was trying to say last post. Bear with me here.

Powerful imagery is any moment where the players stop, and really appreciate their surroundings. Either in a positive, or negative way.

I cite Halo:CE as my first real experience with this. After finishing the game, and going back to the menu, I watched the ring float silently in space amid a timeless, seemingly omniscient choir. Ever since that moment, I've always appreciated the spectacle involved. Looking at it now, I'm filled with a mix of emotions- fear of what's down there, happiness for my own survival, and awe for the creation of such an advanced structure.
The elements all blend together perfectly.


Of course, the effect is diminished once you actually play the game- it's hard to appreciate the scenery when you've only got 5 minutes to get the hell out of dodge. This is where the developers show another masterful touch: There's one or two "wow" moments in each level.

One thing virtually every medium has is its own "wow" moments. Video games, RPGs, movies, paintings, music, dance, etc. All can express it somehow. In music, it's the best part of the song. In movies, it's usually the climactic turning point (In Independence Day, it was the White House getting lase'd by an alien ship).

RPGs make it a little more difficult, because the only input the players have is what the GM says and does. If there's something truly powerful, he/she/it has to describe it in detail, in such a way that it's powerful.

"You see, like, a mountain range in front of you. The sun is shining on it, and stuff. There's a couple eagles too."

Though difficult, I endeavor to put in a few instances of powerful imagery in the large-scale RPGs I do. Sunburn has two (very beginning and very end), and the planned Spectrum RPG will have at least five. The purpose is to give the players a sense of accomplishment, and to let them relax in a way (only the positive ones).

One that I have planned is a tribal ceremony on top of a local mountain. Having been accepted by the people, the council of elders decide to officially induct the player characters into the tribe. It's a night of torches, dancing, alcohol, and tattoos. During this moment, I'm not going to have any rolls for the players to make. It's a relaxing, festive moment designed to showcase more of the tribals, and make the players feel welcomed in a foreign land.

A consequence comes with the use of powerful imagery- overuse. If too much spectacle and attention is brought to every facet of the game, it just waters down the experience. When everything is special- nothing is. It becomes the new bland. This is why I deliberately limit myself to only a handful of moments- to keep it amazing when it happens.

It's a powerful tool. As with any tool, there are good ways to use it and bad ways to use it. And, as long as I'm a little better each time I use it, I'm okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment